Are you interested in accessing affordable film equipment, filmmaking workshops, and community activities? Then you should definitely think about joining the CSIF membership!
The membership policy of CSIF is intended to engage members who are willing to commit time and energy to the society in exchange for CSIF's commitment towards their individual film making endeavours.
As a member, you'll also receive perks and discounts from our community partners: The Camera Store, Matrix Video Communications, Niagara Custom Lab, Vistek, Calgary Cinematheque, Quickdraw Animation Society, Calgary Underground Film Festival, Fairytales Film Festival, Globe Cinema, Rosso Coffee Roasters, Shelf Life Books, and Frame Discreet:
Steps to becoming a CSIF Member
Step 1: Attend one of our MANDATORY new member orientations
If you would like to learn about what we do, have us answer any questions you may have, and/or purchase a membership, then you should definitely attend one of our new member orientations. These sessions are mandatory for all new members and are held at our office once every month (no sign-up required). Upcoming orientations:
Saturday, June 1st, 2019: 11am - 12pm
Saturday, July 6th, 2019: 11am - 12pm
Saturday, August 3rd, 2019: 11am - 12pm
NEW: Online New Member Orientation Sessions
If you would like to become a member but are unable to attend our in-person orientation sessions, you now have to opportunity to attend online, by taking our online New Member Orientation course.
You can always purchase a membership by dropping by the office during regular office hours or over-the-phone at 403-205-4747. However, you must attend a new member orientation (in-person, or online) to make the membership valid.
step 2: Acquire an Associate Membership (Tier 1)
CSIF Associate Membership is a supporting level of membership (and the one everyone starts with). It is open to anyone wishing to support the Mission Statement, Aims and Objectives of the CSIF.
Associate members receive:
- Access to equipment and facility rentals after a 1-month probationary period (i.e., good standing)
- Access to CSIF's Film & Book Library rentals
- Discounts on all CSIF workshops
- Ability to join CSIF Clubs
- Eligibility to submit films to member screenings and other CSIF-sanctioned events
- Regular mailings and e-mails regarding CSIF news, film opportunities, and member activities
- Voting rights at general meetings and at the AGM
- Discounts with our community partners
Once you acquire an Associate Membership, you can start working towards upgrading to a Production Membership.
Step 3: Acquire a Production Membership (Tier 2)
Once you spend a minimum of 3 months as an Associate Member and commit a minimum of 20 volunteer hours to CSIF (more info on volunteering can be found here), you are eligible to upgrade your membership to a Production Membership.
The Production Membership is intended for all active members of the Society who wish to use the Facilities of the Society to produce their own films at a lower cost than Associate Members. Production Membership is open to any member in good standing who can demonstrate proficiency with the equipment he or she intends to use.
- Production Members must have been an Associate Member of the CSIF for a minimum of three months.
- Production Members must commit a minimum of 20 hours of volunteer work to the Co-op.
- Production Members must demonstrate an understanding of the CSIF's Policy, Aims, and Objectives.
On top of receiving all the same rights as an Associate Member, Production Members receive:
- Even more discounts on CSIF equipment rentals
- Eligibility for election to the Board of Directors
- Eligibility to apply for Telefilm Canada's Talent-to-Watch Program through CSIF (after 6 months as a Production Member)