Editor in Chief: Luma
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 1, 2018
The Calgary Society of Independent Filmmakers (CSIF) and EMMEDIA Gallery & Production Society are currently seeking an Editor in Chief for Luma Film & Media Art Quarterly. The Editor in Chief will work on a part time basis to develop and edit content for the publication in accordance with CSIF and EMMEDIA’s mandates and in collaboration with the publication’s Editorial Committee and Advisory Committee.
Luma is a quarterly online publication about independent film and media art published by CSIF and EMMEDIA. Luma includes critical essays, news, reviews, event previews, interviews, reflections, and photo/video essays about culturally relevant productions, events and ideas. Luma aims to expand critical dialogue about media art and film from a Western Canadian perspective on an international platform. Issues are released in May, August, November, and February of every year.
The position will officially begin on August 15, 2018, but the selected candidate will have the opportunity between June – August to get familiar with the publication and observe the previous Editor in Chief during this transitional period.
Key responsibilities include:
- Editing articles from selected writers, in accordance with established style guidelines (Chicago), as per Luma’s Style Sheet and Publication Manual with guidance from the Editorial Committee and Publishers
- Liaising with the Editorial Committee and occasionally the Advisory Committee, about story/writer ideas
- Researching and engaging with relevant organizations and events in Calgary and Western Canada
- Staying abreast of local/regional events and visiting artists by developing connections in the community
- Writing an Editor’s Note to introduce and contextualize each issue
- Working with the Editorial Assistant in developing teasers and pull quotes
- Submitting all print-ready content to publishers in a timely manner
- Proof each issue’s mock-up before publication
- Candidates must have completed post-secondary education in an appropriate field, such as Journalism, English, Film Studies, Art History, Visual Arts, Curatorial Studies, or equivalent experience in the field.
- Must have proven record of high-quality published writing in the field of arts and culture.
- Candidates should have a strong understanding of contemporary film and media arts, and knowledge about leading print and web media arts publications.
- Past experience either editing or copyediting for a print or online publication
- Must be organized, efficient, and able to work independently as well as with others on tight deadlines.
Honorarium: $1000/issue (4 issues/year)
Deadline to apply: June 1, 2018
Official Start Date: August 15, 2018
To apply, please send a cover letter, current CV and 3 writing samples via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com